Originate! editor and business development consultant Larry Bodine discussed the following topics at the Get A Life Conference in Chicago:
- In law firm marketing, clients are the low hanging fruit - but lawyers go about asking for business the wrong way.
- What clients want: a personal counselor or a trusted advisor
- Why it's a mistake to recount your credentials to a potential client in law firm marketing.
- Amateur selling is saying, "this is my firm, my practice area, this is how long our firm has been in operation."
- The most interesting topic to clients. "If they are talking, you are selling."
- Why there is no downside to business development.
- Sell the way that doctors do: ask "where does it hurt?"
- If doctors sold like lawyers do, you'd run out of the office as if your hair was on fire!